Monday, 30 August 2010

typhoon 1

A typhoon 1 warning has been hoisted, I read this statement on a notice in the Lyndhurst Building yesterday just before going in the dirty old lift that smells of mould. I had spent the day swimming, sunbathing and reading at the Sienna pool in Discovery Bay and returned to central after it had rained again.
I no longer have my shiny red umbrella. I gave it to a beggar on the street, her need is greater than mine. It's hard for me to describe this young woman's appearance to justify it and because the thought of her makes me feel quite emotional. She looks like the victim of a bombing, she has no fingers on one hand and the other hand is entirely missing. Her skin looks like it has been burned off and there are chunks of her hair missing too. She sits neatly politely outside the IFC unexpectant with her cap on the floor. I will never forget the look of gratitude she gave me when I passed her the umbrella and she gently took it. She recognises me now whenever I pass so I smile at her and nod. Probably something that very few people do. I have given her coins before and seen others do so. She always nods shyly to the floor to show her thanks. I have thought of her many times since saturday. There must be other basic things she needs. I wonder how she copes without having fingers. The poor soul.
Despite the typhoon warning the weather was as hot as ever yesterday. I taught the kids Basketball in the extreme humidity. My bites have gone down significantlly but I now have fresh ones! The children are so good in the heat. They continue to run around and play, beads of sweat on their little faces. I make them drink water every ten minutes and get them into some shade to do so. Hats are compulsory to keep the sun off.
This morning Kylie and I caught our first 6.30am ferry to work. This meant getting up at 5.30am something I was not over enamoured with. I consider any time prior to 7am to be the middle of the night, it was still dark when I staggered to the bathroom to shower.  The only time I ever get up this early is to catch a plane but it is what I will be doing every day from now on. Ouch. However, there was something kind of cool about watching the sun rise over the water. A small consolation. Another being that it is pay day today and in celebration four of us are going out this evening for a foot spa and a steak. Good times!
God bless x

No comments:

Post a Comment