Well, my first night in the Lyndhurst building was a bit of a disaster. It started off quite well, hot and cold running water.. the toilet was now working... pleasant view of city lit up in neon... learnt a few chords on the guitar... discovered a small lizard on the TV unit. Was there a nest? where were it's undoubtedly enormous parents? once i switch out the light will lizards crawl over my sleeping body? where is the lizard now? With this discovery and the fact that every 15 or so minutes the air con would start to make a complete racket and wake me up time and time again I didn't get a good sleep.
The 6.30 alarm sounded and two cheeky snoozes later i showered and made a run for the 7.20 ferry. Found Kylie on the top deck, caught up with her and her night at the hotel with her mum then before we knew it we were at Discovery Bay.
The first day at school was staff training and we had the usual embarrassing introductions where you have to turn and wave at a bunch of complete strangers and then try and remember everyone else's name throughout the day. It was a useful day of PC and Mac training and I learnt a lot of new stuff. I got my timetable and I will be teaching Year 1's to Year 6's for a mixture of indoor and outdoor lessons. We're getting brand new staff kit which is dri-fit - bonus! hopefully will limit the profuse sweating. Met the rest of the PE team who are really nice and it seems they will be good fun to work with.
It was announced that tomorrow is the annual 'Amazing Race' where the staff are divided up into teams and all compete at physical and mental tasks! Bring it on! Looks like this is going to be a fantastic school to work at.
oh, and i found out that the lizard was in fact a gecko, completely harmless and eats mosquitos (not humans) apparently am just to let them stay.
God bless x
Geckos or Mosquitoes? I know which I would prefer. It's like having your own personal mobile fly paper. XX
ReplyDelete