Monday, 23 August 2010

not a native yet

There are times when I think there will be nothing interesting to report and this thought is becoming stronger as I begin to settle into a routine. Especially on work days when it's lessons and meetings and e-mails and duties. Not that my Hong Kong Life is mundane or boring or without laughter. On the contrary it is a happy life and an interesting one.
Just as I was thinking that there is no point blogging anything today I turned a corner and in a heartbeat the ordinary became the extraordinary.
Last night I was feeling a little bit low, probably detox blues, and I looked out of my window at the sky scraping buildings feeling the rush of the air conditioning on my face and I sighed deeply and felt the distance from all of the people that I love. This was the first wave of home-sickness that I have experienced and I would have given a lot for a hug at that moment. I drew back the sheet (no duvet necessary and clambered into bed) I wrote to Emma, Nicky and Louise and finally fell into slumber.
I woke this morning relieved that my horrible nightmare had not come true. I had dreamt that my job and pretty much everyone else's were on the line and I might have to go home, jobless and penniless! I recalled to myself that this isnt the case, I have a strong contract and the school do need me to be there. Relieved that the worst wasnt happening I got up and had my ordinary day.
The induction meeting finished a little before four and I played guitar, I say played because it does vaguely sound like I am playing now, while I waited for Tanya. The school guitars sound so much better than mine! my poor old Gibson has strings as old as me and they sound flat and desperately need replacing. Tanya showed me a new route to the Plaza, I posted my letters and as we had missed the 5.10 we had a sneaky Mc Chicken Sandwich on a coupon. I teamed it with a pear and honey iced tea which was pretty nice. We sat in the sun watching the bay and chatting about music. Tanya misses the Melbourne music scene and was telling me about this cool place here where musicians go 3 out of 4 Saturdays. It's a hair dressers which also has a bar and they clear the chairs and musicians just go there and jam. She and Vincent went along with their instruments and joined in. I will have to go along next time and listen. We took the ferry over with Helen and Emma two of the teachers from the school. we laughed at my photos from Friday night in "Fong". the ones of us in fur coats in the ice bar are pretty funny. I hadnt known Matt was sitting behind us, as we went to leave he broke it to me that he not only had photos of me on the stage shaking the maracas but video footage also! with a glint in his eye that I didnt like very much! he told me, "thats going to be shown at some point!"  I'll have to get something on him now!
As we took the escalators Tanya told me about Lamma Island and how nice it is there. She said its very green and kind of jungly and there are lots of arty and muso people there. She said there are good restaurants and markets too. That's when  she asked me if I had been to Stanley Markets. I hadn't but wanted to so we went together down the street. The first part, I had been to, then we got half way down the road and came to cross roads. I made a quarter turn and looked up and down. The narrow lanes were packed with traders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts, salad and fresh flowers. It was quite a sight all under the lantern light.  The stalls were makeshift from boxes upturned and chinese characters were scrawled on scraps of cardboard telling the prices. The vendors spoke in broken english and gestured at their wares buying stuff was easy by pointing and saying less or more. The smell was amazing and I felt as though my skin was breathing in the vitamins from the delicious sweet air. I was in fruit and veg heaven! everything was so cheap! No more fear of scurvey or rickets from my instant noodle and coupon McDonalds diet! I was saved! As well as being keen market traders the chinese are also avid arsonists I have discovered. The burn things at the end of their shift, I beleive to pay homage to the gods. The fires smell really good because they add incense to them.
Every silver lining has its cloud I thought as I scratched my freshly-bitten-to-death thigh whilst juggling bottled water in the 'park and save' mini market. Next time I'll use bug spray first.
God bless x
p.s.i miss you

No comments:

Post a Comment